Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Amy Lau's Dexter Chairs: I have no positive comment.


I know Amy Lau's chairs she designed for the set of Dexter is old news. I didn't know about them until I nabbed the March 2009 issue of Metropolitan Home in an airport to put off having to do work on the little, often times very sticky pull-down tray tables on the plane. (By the way, Midwest Express did NOT stock the warm chocolate chip cookies this time and I was very disappointed.) I've seen half an episode of Dexter once. So I am not that familiar with the show, although I've heard a few people rave about it. But I could not stop thinking about the chairs and why I was so disturbed by them. I'm a huge fan of the clean neoclassical-styled lines, as well as white lacquer with a splash of color. But color and shape to resemble red splattered blood? I can't do it. Would anyone include a set around their dining room table? Or even tucked in the corner of a room?



These limited edition chairs are upholstered in white ultraleather and embroidered with a blood stain that has seeped through the back. You can purchase them through the Spring Gallery, in Brooklyn, New York for a mere $5,000 each.



How about a set of dinnerware to match? At this point, I am not even pausing to try to understand the appeal. My apologies if I seem like a sissy. I have to turn my head away when my dog gets a shot at the vet's. I would no more eat off of one of these regardless how flop-sweat, dizzy and dying starving I might be. For those a tad intrigued, you can purchase them here (click on 'Dexter', then click on the image to view the whole place setting...) I'm off to chew on a Rolaids. Just the image makes my stomach turn.

14 comments:

David said...

Seems like a waste of a perfectly nice chair, I'm with you. I watch Dexter and I think it's a really well done series. I don't however see any reason to connect it to interior design.

Of course I don't care for most of the "cross marketing" we're bombarded with. Disney used to make movies and run amusement parks. Now they sell every conceivable thing with their characters on it and run cruise ships. I just find it all distasteful.

Pigtown*Design said...

Yuck! I can't imagine a company making these and can even less imagine anyone buying them. The height of bad taste, especially in a city with a murder rate as high as ours. Not even ironic.

Anonymous said...

Excuse me, but this chair looks like a crime scene. Couldn't the designer have a butterfly embroidery on the back of chair instead of that awful red stain. Mercy.

Anonymous said...

ok so the chair looks like a murder has been committed--what if each chair has a different color of yarn--like blue on a white chair--or purple etc i agree with david -- it looks like a waste of a really nice and expensive chair

pve design said...

I can give blood, just not take it. Never was destined to be a Doctor nor a Count. Perhaps a Doc or a Vamp would thirst for these.

cotedetexas said...

My husband loves Dexter, it's ok, not bad. The chairs are pretty, the blood is just silly. why? love the plates! hah!!!!

Sarah said...

I don't know if I would ever own one, maybe if I lived in an old creepy mansion for a kitchsy piece of furniture, but I love the creativity and the thought put into them. Guess I'm the only one? Ha.

Toby Worthington said...

As a devoted fan of DEXTER, I find the chair and plates quite amusing~as a setting for promotional photography, that is. Certainly not for anything remotely connected to marketing or merchandising!

Anonymous said...

ok i'm rethinking the dexter chair w/ the blood stain--as sarah said it is a kitchsy piece of furniture and it is creative--it would cause comments from my friends and isn't that why i would buy it--as toby says--it's quite amusing

Karena said...

It seems so many artists feel they must go over the top to be noticed. And, Yes they do get much attention! In my view bad taste is bad taste, I want to bring more beauty to the world!

Anonymous said...

Like the chair or not, everybody seems to have strong feelings one way or the other. That's what makes it art. While I personally don't think it'd go with my decor, I like the idea of it and it IS very eye catching.

Anonymous said...

I wish not approve on it. I regard as polite post. Especially the designation attracted me to review the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I assent to but I dream the brief should acquire more info then it has.