
To my husband who surprised me this morning with a cupcake and flowers for our anniversary. Although I know you will never be reading this, (which will also spare me from you realizing just how corny I can be), you mean the world to me.
And to my first little Westie in heaven. Happy Birthday Tulla! I miss you so much each and every day. You taught me how to be kind and patient no matter what. When you died, I felt for a long, long while as if someone had taken a metal ice cream scoop and cut out a jagged hole where my heart once beat. You waited, I am sure, to go when you knew I was safe. That gives me comfort. But still after these years, I have such sadness, my breaths are short and tight when I think of you.

19 comments:
Happy anniversary to you and Mr. Soodie!
It's so awful when our dogs have to go, but aren't you thankful for the time we do have with them?
congratulations on your anniversary!
i have a westie too. he's almost 2 yrs old and i always feel an instant connection to other westie owners. westies are such wonderful, unique dogs. greetings to tulla up in heaven. :)
Happy Anniversary Soodie. I am so pleased to become friends through our blogging. I still feel we need a Kansas City blogging party!
David, yes you are right we need to be thankful for the time we do have with our pets. She went too soon and suddenly, I wasn't prepared. That was hard. But her death did bring Billy who was on the 'list' to be eliminated.
Sunday, I didn't realize you have a westie also!!! You are so right, there is some sort of secret westie club -- we all seem to get so excited about our westies and all get along.
Karena, me too! and I agree, we should all rally together.
I do feel dogs teach us to be better humans. Losing them is so very hard. I read at David's blog he has read and is now saying YES! to The Art of Racing in the Rain. Don't know if you'd had time yet. If not, I think you will hear Tulla's voice in the narrator's. They are wise and good and always know when we need them the most. So glad Billy got a Splendid Second Chance at Much Happiness with you.
And happy anniversary. Today, the 9th is our 34th. And it was as hot as the blazes that day, too.Thirty four years, and he still quotes Yeats and Shakespeare to me. Not so good with tool belt as previously discussed.
Home: I have heard very good things about the book. I think you're right that I should read. But I hate to bawl. It isn't cathartic -- just makes your eyes puffy and your stomach feel all sick. As unhealthy as it sounds, it is better (for me) to push those feelings way, way down.
Happy 34th Anniversary to you!!!! I hope you did something fun today and out of this heat!
What a scrumptious looking cup cake and what a sweetie you husband must be. Happy Anniversary, Soodie. And Happy Birthday, Tulla. She will always have a corner of your heart.
Where would we be without our dogs? Lost? Less human? yes for me- I lost my beloved companion of 15 almost years last fall & think of him each time I speak or look at my new (now 7 months)Zetta. Moses will always have a presence here As a friend & mother said- he will never be replaced, think of Zetta as you would a child and you will love her for her own dogself.
beautifully put on your post today. la.
Virginia, the cupcake was really, really good. I couldn't help myself -- I was unable to leave a last bite for the one who brought it to me. God I'm craving cupcake right now...
And Tulla has about 1/2 my heart... a truly remarkable little soul. Not fair she had to go...
LA -- I completely agree with you, I do think we would be less human without them. I'm with the advice you received: I look at Tulla and Billy as my two different canine children. Though they look similar (same breed), they have completely different personalities, different likes and dislikes. So you're right, one does not replace the other. Just so hard when you miss them so much. I don't care how corny or sad I sound, but when you have an incredible bond with a pet -- you are one lucky person. People who have not had that, just don't get it.
PS thanks for visiting...
Happy anniversary, Sood! And happy birthday to sweet little miss Tulla. I remember finally meeting her when I visited you in LA and she sat in a chair alongside the two of us and visited like the little lady she was. The snap of her in the party hat being hoisted up by Tony is perfect. Tulla had a wonderful life filled to the brim with love all because of you. xxoo Katie
OH KATIE ! ! ! ! !
Despite what has come and gone in our lives, and what we've been through, she sat with us that afternoon and somehow just knew you and I would would stand up tall and march our way through.
So true!! xxxooo
soodie, i think i might love you. i'm actually crying as i read about your beautiful tulla. i must remember to up my dosage of klonopin! we lost our s. aka monkey on july 9, 2006. he was a border collie who went everywhere with us... and i swear he could read my mind! i think of him everyday. after reading this i have decided to believe that s. and tulla have become friends in heaven... both experts in the power of kind acts, they're very busy doing good works.
ps happy anniversary!
oh p.p.!
funny how sometimes it is hard to envision there is heaven with family and friends or even people, but i can see our dogs meeting and romping through the white fluffy clouds with unlimited dispensers of dog treats, squeaky toys and comfortable beds, with the wind gently blowing the fur from their eyes. those two little good souls -- along with other good little doggie souls -- are the ones sprinkling magic dust down to earth to make life a little more pleasant. is that corny or what! at the same time I really mean it.
later that day, after i was dragged out of the the animal emergency room having to leave her little body behind my eyes swollen shut from blubbering, my family was quite concerned about me. i was so distraught and confused. my husband (boyfriend at the time and can't believe he still married me) kept gently slipping pills of xanax through my crying, trembling lips for three days straight. i couldn't work, i couldn't eat, i couldn't function. i was contorted in a fetal position dehydrated from crying so much. it was about a whole month before i was even aware of anything.
oh i miss your little s. too. that pain just never goes away...
shhh... I have Bichons... two... sleeping on my legs until I have no feeling left in them....
I wish they could live forever, they are our children. How many Westies do you have now?
Tulla was absolutely adorable!
Chloe, I wish they could live forever also. When Tulla went, so did a huge part of me. I got Billy few months after Tulla. Should have waited a bit, but the opportunity came up and I was still so hollow inside. They are our children and I don't like to have to fight people about that. I hate to hear: 'it's just a dog'.
Post a Comment