
And the second: a saucer with a wide, shallow bowl.

The latter supposedly modeled from the bosom of Mme. de Pompadour, mistress of Louis XV.
To those Americans who prefer basketball-sized silicone, I would personally rather liken a perfectly good B cup to a crystal champagne glass...
For more (and always good) info see Emily Evans Eerdmans post.
and for more on the quiet, shy but very active Louis XV see here...
Both images from Dawson and Nye: Morris Plains, NJ, USA. Top - by Baccarat, sold September 23, 2009; and second Lalique coupe glasses sold December 6, 2007.
12 comments:
Respectable B -- that is funny.
Beautiful stem ware.
Ah, champagne. When it is good it is very, very good.
Madame Pompadour keeps popping up. Was rummaging about for images since the Sphinxes I just posted about are rumored to me modeled after her visage. I dare say its true. Best invention ever made was the champagne "re-corker". Lovely to just have a glass a day with hubby several days in a row. Merci!
Ahhh..so that's why the size of breasts and champagne glasses are referred to in the same breath, so to speak. Very interesting - you are such the oracle. xxx
Virginia,
...and when it is bad it is horrid.
I love champagne. Distant relatives are the founders of Roederer Champagne in France. I like using flutes the best and then the bowls for serving deserts, like sorbet with raspberries and Chamborg etc.
I love the way the saucer style allows the bubbles to pop up all over the place. With champagne, isn't that the point anyway?
Soodie, I finally got around to acknowledging the Krestiv Blogger award you gave me... on my blog today. Thanks again so much!
i can't sip any sort of drink -without spilling- out of those wide mouthed types. Although I love the way they look! great history too
M, i don't have enough grace and balance after i've had several -- a glass sippy cup would be good for me.
Think of the shelf space each of the champagne glasses take up -- you could easily get 6 flutes to the 4 breast cups.
Ahh, champagne season is upon us!!!
Interesting story about the saucers. A DD basketball sized saucer would be MOST horrifying, I agree.
Lauren
(IN)DECOROUS TASTE
IN-DT, would take a lot of strength to lift up one of those sized glasses. Not to mention one would probably be sloshed after sipping from one DD glass!
I alawys prefer the more glamourous saucer shape but admit to having the more common flutes at home. I suppose the silicon shaped saucers (if existed) would be more to american tastes.....bigger is better *blech*.
Post a Comment