Frederica Charlotte of Prussia (1767-1820) -- wife of George III's second son Prince Frederick Augustus -- was said to have very, very small feet. It was also said that she was short in height, not very pretty and had bad teeth. However, she was lively and sensible and expected to make Frederick very happy.Frederica Charlotte Ulrica Catherina, Duchess of York by Marie Anne Bourlier after Elisabeth Louise Vigée-LeBrun, published by Edward Harding.
Frederick, the Duke of York, was eager to marry. He was the first royal marriage of all George III's fifteen children and everyone was excited. After all, if he did, he would receive a handsome increase in funds. One thing Frederick wanted to do for his bride was provide her with shoes. His older brother George, the Prince of Wales, consulted the royal shoe maker. The duke sent the prince a pair of Frederica's wee shoes to make six new pairs. The delicacy of Frederica's tiny feet became the object of great curiosity. Although newspapers were scarcely able to mention the princess’s beauty, they praised her for her charm and "neatness". Copies of her shoes were sold in the hundreds -- purple leather shoes studded with diamonds, finished with a high heel and only... 5-1/2 inches long.
'The York-minuet' (Frederica Charlotte Ulrica Catherina, Duchess of York; Frederick, Duke of York and Albany) by James Gillray (1791) National Portrait Gallery Soon it became fashionable for every stylish woman to squeeze her feet into tiny shoes. The rage for the princess’s shoes became over the top. James Gillray summed up the whole frenzied madness in one cartoon caricature titled "Fashionable Contrasts" showing Duchess teeny feet dwarfed by the Duke's.
'Fashionable Contrasts' by James Gillray (1792) National Portrait Gallery.Unfortunately, as the marriage progressed, it was not as agreeable for both parties.
The Duchess, called "Freddie" by her friends, became a bit more eccentric as the years went by keeping to herself and doting on her 18 dogs in their large estate. Life at the estate provided the privacy the Duchess wanted. She was known to stay up until dawn reading books, sleep until 3 in the afternoon, get up and play with her dogs, then read until dawn again. Her mad, controlling, but sometimes very wise father-in-law, George III, was sympathetic and felt without children she needed to rest her affection on her dogs. top image from LACMA: a pair of English shoes, though not the Princess's, is made from satin, leather, linen (1790-1795) and the size... 9-1/2 inches.

18 comments:
Soodie, so fascinating, I loved reading this post! She must have been a precious little thing!
I love the "Fashionable Contrasts" cartoon!
As for fashionably small feet... well, let's just say that those, I will never have! However, I am eagerly awaiting the day when "bigger is better" becomes a motto for shoe size. When you're dealing with a size 11, 5 1/2 inches long is like, the length of my TOE.
Lauren
omg(and I do not use that carelessly, or at all really but) I might just be her when she went into her FreddieFase! I seem to be heading that way. This is a great post- has all the things I love, humour, history, fashion, and wit-yours. Perfect.It goes to show you- we will all ape after something- tiny feet, Louboutins, and the like-they all pinch in the end and one's nights are better spent with feet up with a good book-they'll all see that one day. GT
Completely enchanted by that daring cartoon. Things haven't changed all that much, have they?
Karen, I can't find a scrap of info about how tall she was. You never find much info on these peripheral female characters unless they were the queen or had sordid, messy, illicit affairs. Now, the princess's mother on the other hand.....
Lauren, I didn't realize how small 5-1/2 was until I took out a ruler and measured my own child-sized feet. You and I are both on either end of the shoe rack -- people think we can find shoes easily because not too many of us have that size, but shoe makers don't make these sizes and we have to buy expensive brands! Rarely do I find satisfaction going to some 75% off shoe sale and leaving with a pair of sassy heels. Put it this way, you have the size foot runway models have, and I had to go to the children's department to get my latest pair of running shoes -- they have pink glitter on them!
GT, so true on the shoes. I was thinking how crazy that was with women jamming their feet into shoes much too small for them until I glanced at a few of the good-looking, yet most painful shoes in my closet -- pointy toes, terribly high heels and wearing them for just 15 minutes on a hard floor drains all the blood from my face.
I love how she was called "eccentric" because she liked to stay at home, read all night long and play with her dogs... I'm with you on the quality nights of quietness, a good book (and snuggled next to your dog).
What a fun posting. Thanks!
Ladies, I believe that Little Augury and Soodie have come to the great awareness: if the feet don't feel good, nothing else does! I have finally scheduled the surgery on my foot. Had no idea that your next to the big toe could cross over the lane and land cuddled up over the big toe. Looks like a puppy slumber party. HIgh heels: gone! pointy toed-shoes: gone!!!! Good books: last forever!
Love, love, love posts as this one! The history of kings and royals!!
Thank you ! I hope you will do more of these posts!
I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy 2010!!
xx
Greet
Soodie,
Here's wishing you and your blog followers the best Christmas and a New Year of good health, happiness, and peace on earth.
It's all a question of space, once again, Soodie!
Such a fabulous post! Have a wonderful, great Holiday and I look forward to more of your memorable pieces in the New Year 2010!
Happy Holidays to you too Liz! Thank you for warm wishes -- I just love your blog!
I have only just discovered this blog note and thought you might be interested to know that I have an outline of the Duchess foot which has written on it "Exact size of the Duchess's foot, cut from one made by her shoemaker - 1792"
It is exactly 14cm long!
Anon, thank you for visiting!
14cm is crazy small. b/t 5" and 6"! fortunately they had custom made shoes in those days, would have been an awful pain to find ready-made shoes these days. do you know how tall she was?
I have acquired an old etching of the shoes that is not colored-in. I wonder of its value. At first I mis-interpreted it to be a satirical comment on the King vs the colonies.
Charles, that is an interesting thought -- shoes to symbolize colonies...
(value on your print depends upon a number of factors.)
Post a Comment