Monday, December 8, 2008

A Victorian Essential… the Spoon Warmer???


A Victorian invention, of course, considered one of the essential “fancies” to every well-run household, the spoon warmer was very popular. One of a variety of articles created for the demanding and expanding middle class. Silver was seen as a measure of social status and the status conscious were eager to display their new found wealth. There could never be too many objects, you know, as dining rooms were meant to impress. So many glistening objects piled up on sideboards and dining tables, their legs must have quivered under the weight of it all. Spoon warmers were created in the days before central heating when breakfast consisted of hot porridge and the dinners needed to remain warm. Ceilings were high and their rooms drafty. Grasping a warm spoon must have seemed comforting. So little is known about spoon warmers today and not many people care, but it was an essential of its time. How could a proper house function if a warm dish suffered the affront of a cold stuffing spoon?

Most spoon warmers are made from silver plate. They were filled with boiling water and left on the table. All serving spoons were placed in it until needed, enabling them to remain warm before scooping into some rich dish.


There is considerable variation in design, some quite plain and others detailed and whimsical. The most common form is the nautilus shell. Other spoon warmers continue the theme of the sea taking the shape of an oyster shell, a buoy, a barrel and even the Greek god Triton, though I have never laid eyes on the latter, many nestled in a base elaborately embellished to look like rocks entwined with small seashells and seaweed.
My grandmother had an incredible one in the shape of a swan, I am told. The wings curving over the back hiding the slot for the spoon. I never had the chance to see it. Sadly, both she and the swan-shaped spoon warmer were gone before I came along.

They were made in huge numbers by the English but by only one maker here in America, Reed and Barton. Not all spoon warmers are marked so it makes it difficult to determine the maker.


A buoy complete with an anchoring chair fastening it to the rocky base. Shoddy image, my apologies. I took this from artfact. I have this one but it is packed away in storage.



This is the most typical spoon warmer. Christies (NYC) sold this Edwardian version by William Hutton & Sons, London, made 1904 in July 2002.



Alderfer Auction sold this one December 2001. Similar as above but with and etched decoration. Unmarked.


Also from my own collection, Atkin and Brothers last quarter 19th century.


For the lucky Irish, Charlton Hall Galleries, Inc. sold this in April 2006. It has three leaf clovers. Circa 1900 by Mappin & Webb. (My mother has this one...)


In the form of a shell resting on a fish. Available from Goldsmith & Perris.


Atkin Brothers, circa 1885, unfortunately sold by Estate Silver Co. Ltd - Anthony Mammon.



I am crazy for this one! I have one of an oyster shell but it is no where a fabulous as this. I love how the little clam sits as if almost alert wanting to say something on a rocky base. There is engraving of seaweed around the opening for the spoon. See more views of it here on Wax Antiques to see the detail of the seaweed on the base. No apparent maker. Circa 1880. Someone has already bought this.



Any turtle fans? Brunk Auctions sold this in May 2003.


A dolphin resting on crested waves. Sold at David Lay Frics Auction House, Alverton, Penzance, in January 2007. I don't like the patina on this one. The silver looks dipped at a later time.

Cannon Spoon Warmer By Elkington Made By Elkington & Co., 1880 (personal collection).


" I Dream of Genie". (What a sexist show, by the way). Available at iFranks circa 1870, by the London maker William Hutton. Note the decorated handle and reed borders around the lip and foot. Maker unknown, c. 1880, in the form of a cornucopia. Available from New Orleans Silversmiths.



Another goodie from Wax Antiques. Circa 1870.


Another one I'm crazy for. It is in the shape of a gondola with two oars resting on the base. Though the form reminds me more of a Viking ship. And the quality of this piece is reportedly particularly good. Circa 1880. Sold, ARGH!, from Wax Antiques in London.

In the form of an old shoe. I believe still available from Estate Silver Co. Ltd - Anthony Mammon. Is anyone else uncomfortable with the idea of sticking a spoon in something that is supposed to look like an old smelly crusty shoe?


My favorite designer… Christopher Dresser (1834-1904). The true father of modern design created this very mod Spoon Warmer in 1881. It has an ebony handle and made by Hukin & Heath, Birmingham. (I snagged this image from artnet.) This is my most favorite. Kind of reminds me of a spaceship.


In our efficient warm homes today the need for spoon warmers has passed but there are a number of different ways they can still be used – tucked into a book shelf, displayed on a fireplace mantel, stuffed with sprigs of spring flowers. An interesting and relatively inexpensive oddity to collect.


TH Robsjohn-Gibbings Limos chairs in natural ceruse finish and a breakfast table by De Coene Freres, Belgium, c. 1930. Stuart Weitzman Nuhyper boots.

18 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

Soodie - I've seen these before but did not know their use. As I've seen mostly the shell shaped I had assumed they were somehow seafood related. I think the shoe is somewhat charming, but don't really want to put a spoon in it. I'm funny that way.

Anonymous said...

I also know about spoon warmers. I own several, mostly the shell. The shell is the most common, probably because of the water coast lines of England, Ireland, and the east coast Atlantic coast line. I have them displayed in a grouping in my dining room, but careful with polishing them, the thin English silver plate is easy to polish right down to the copper plating. I also like the Viking ship and would have loved to see your grandmother's swan.

Anonymous said...

loverly pieces of silver you showed -- my mother would totally get into that fox horn -- was so graceful -- but i like the plain shells. i dream of a home in maine on the coast and would love to display all shells spoon warmers somewhere -- guess i better start looking for them in antique shops -- has antique roadshow ever priced them or even had them on their show?

Anonymous said...

I check your blog almost every day to read what the others say. You have fun people on your blog. So did your Westie take one lump or two in his tea or was it coffee?

You always amaze me with the most interesting things you find to discuss and so many photos to show examples of your subject. Thank you, it is a delight to read and spend time with.

Amy Carol

Toby Worthington said...

These are all ravishingly lovely and to my great shame I'd never even heard of spoon warmers until this very moment. There's a practical side of me that questions the efficacy of such things, though. Those warmed spoons would count for nothing if doling food onto a cold dinner plate. How did our forebears deal with that little issue, I wonder??

Anonymous said...

Your blog is wonderful. I looked at them all and I love the combination of your fun drawings with good information on antiques. The expression on the westie makes me smile -- and we all need to smile.

This is my first visit but not my last. Lisa

soodie :: said...

Mrs. B, logical conclusion since it seems 75 percent of these forms are ocean related. I have found they are harder and harder to come by. Halls was selling one some 10 years ago and for quite an asking price, ahem. Virginia, of course, the water coast lines! It never dawned on me. Nor did I come across any information alluding to that (what very little info there is out there). Thanks very much for the info. Anon, yes Roadshow did address one. But they didn't call it a spoon warmer -- something else I cannot even remember. AHHH this is bugging me that I can't remember. Maybe I'll remember at 3 in the morning some time. I hate how the mind works that way. Amy Carol, westie is too busy eating his porridge and talking about his day to sip tea. And much too excitable to drink any coffee -- no caffeine for that unruly boy. TW - yes, that is what I love about the Victorian times (not the biggest fan of furniture or designs) but I love how they made elaborate and expensive things just to hold... something like a toothpick. After your comment, I am now wondering if there wasn't some sort of something to keep the plates warm... hum, I'll do a little research. Excellent point you have.

Everything is all too much for us when we look back then. But certainly provides a lot of material to read. I wonder 100 years from now what people will be saying about us and things like that PlayStation chair??? Or, I am sorry, Damien Hirst's dead animals in a box of formaldehyde. (I still don't get it...) Lisa, so very glad you dropped by. Thank you and please, please come again.

cotedetexas said...

I'm with Mrs. B. I never realized what those were used for! Beautiful post and lesson. Thank you!!

Joni

cotedetexas said...

omg - that story about pushing your car down the hill is too funny!!!! my daughter can never sneak out because the doors and windows buzz whenever they are opened!
Thanks for the comment!
Joni

Anonymous said...

What wonderful silver pieces! The Victorians had all kinds of interesting silver pieces for the table.

Another dining implement I came across that I love is the Muffineer. Does anyone know what a miffineer is?


Yes, it is a sugar shaker. Larger than a salt shaker with more holes in the top used for sugar, cinnamon sugar, or powdered sugar. You used them to sprinkle sugar on top of morning pancakes or afternoon fancy cakes.

I also have some of the sugar sifter spoons with holes in them to catch the lumps of sugar while allowing sugar grains to go into your tea or coffee.

soodie :: said...

Hi anon, yes the Victorians had so many utensils for so many things. It seems almost ridiculous to us today until you walk into a Williams-Sonoma store and gawk at all the utensils for garlic peelers, zest, whisks, sauce pans, etc. The Victorian items have lasted. Our items today made from plastic and rubber???? And yes, I have heard of the Muffineer -- I'm partial to the highly decorated ones.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the credits in your article. Just to let your readers know that I always have a variety of spoon warmers in stock, a few are listed on my web site www.EstateSilver.com, but I always have a variety of others. I believe the reason for the nautilus theme on most spoon warmers was because they were filled with water.
Anthony Mammon. Estate Silver Co. NY City

Anonymous said...

Mathesons' Auctions is pleased to announce that we will be selling the Stanley Weinkle collection of over 150 Victorian spoon warmers at our April 4th auction. Please see our website www.mathesonsaaauction.com for the link to Live Auctioneers for the complate catalog. Thanks

Linda said...

I have a spoon warmer in the shape of a buoy with a ring in its top and a chain from a ring in its base to the 'rocks' on which it rests. It's nice to see it has a relative in the US

soodie :: said...

Hi Linda, good to know you have one too. I would compulsively collect these things if I had the room. I love the ones that have been fashioned out of real shells. Thank you for stopping by...

gésbi said...

Soodie, I love your drawings and your taste in topics and in - spoon warmers. These are wonderful curios; I'll be on the look out for them now that I know what they are! (Many apartments in Paris still have plate warmers built in the dining rooms. I've always thought them still practical, but made mine into a secret curio cabinet, opened only from time to time for special guests.)

Anonymous said...

Swan spoon warmer, possibly similar to your grandmothers?

http://www.waxantiques.com/items/5019.htm

Anonymous said...

Friday, 01/11/2013, a friend and I saw a ceramic spoon warmer in a marvelous fish shape--beautifully colored and very naturalistic. It was in an exhibit on portrayals of animals in art at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond. I do not recall the date, unfortunately. Possibly early 20th century.