Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Babies Are Here !


Oh, I've been so worried. For the past two weeks. I've never gotten over March of the Penguins -- my eyes were swollen for days afterwards from boo-hooing. Thank god I watched it from the privacy of my own home and not in the theater. Someone would have had to carry me out of the movie house in a stretcher. I was fetal.


Two weeks ago, I noticed a pair of mourning doves stomping around in my flower boxes and crushing my newly planted pansies. It made me a little cranky, until I realized what was going on. Then I romanticized the whole thing. And felt a little special that they chose my flower box on my balcony. Narcissistic, I know, but it made me happy. It is the little things, at times. Every day I waited and protected the couple looking from my living room window -- through the wind and the rain and shooed any pesky squirrel sniffing around.


I avoided going out on the balcony, and certainly prevented my husband from doing so with his manly voice. He didn't share the same... affection as I did for these little eggs. I didn't want the mother to be scared off. She needed to keep the eggs warm. My thoughts went back to March of the Penguins. And the scene with the cold, cracked egg which the parent penguins mourned. I still get weepy.

When the mourning dove mother needed a break, the father stepped up to take her place and keep the eggs warm. Neither of them seemed to mind my dog, who absolutely insists on sunbathing during warm late afternoons. The cushioned chaise lounge is his. While my husband and I get a metal chair.



Two little baby birds born today. So far a success. I'm still keeping my distance until they are old enough and strong enough to venture out on their own. No BBQ-ing for a bit on the balcony. No loud noises or sudden movements, and certainly no more foul language.


My dog during a mid-afternoon nap before his snack, followed by another light walk down the street, and then to stretch out on his chair outside on the balcony. I cater, I pander, I will do anything this dog wants. After dinner and yet another walk, I put him to bed at night. And then I can finally get some real work done.

17 comments:

pve design said...

Oh what sweetness... I cried too over March of the Penguins. My job by comparison seemed easy.
Carrying those eggs on my feet in all that ice and cold.
In awe of nature!
pve

Anonymous said...

What a cute dog. What type of dog is he and or she?

soodie :: said...

pve, and having to entrust your mate to watch over the egg so you can leave for a few months in search of food. not knowing if the egg would hatch or if your little chick survived until your return. that movie killed me.

soodie :: said...

Anon, a Westie. and a He. An abused rescue who won't let other men see that I baby him. He is like a high school boy who wipes his mother's lipstick marks from his cheek after football practice.

Mrs. Blandings said...

We are of the same mind today - I posted about my pup as well. We have doves that come back every year (I assume they are the same doves) but they nest high outside the overhang of the back door. What fun that you can see the progress.

soodie :: said...

Mrs. B, yes, I will be watching their progress. My husband won't let me name them. He rolled his eyes and reminded me of my age...

Rosie, so dignified. How can you tell her to sleep elsewhere when she is so regal on the window bench.

Virginia said...

My goodness, but today's blog has so lifted my spirits. I loved seeing the eggs nestled in the colorful pansies and then seeing the baby birds. How proud you must be of the eggs that hatched in your balcony window box.

Oh, yes. I know the scene that made you cry, me too. It was of the cracked frozen egg and the penguin parents just standing there touching in their despair.

David said...

I second Mrs. B, it's great that the doves are right where you can watch them grow.

And your sweet boy all sacked out! I knew he was a rescue but I didn't know he was abused. Special spot in heaven for you.

I think I've mentioned Alex is a rescue, but rather than abused I think he was just neglected. Which of course we remedy constantly, whether we want to or not.

soodie :: said...

David, I certainly know over compensating. Quickly how our little dogs forget their previous lives. Mine has turned himself into a little prince with zero tolerance for a rain drop and quite a sophisticated palette. He has forgotten that not too long ago he was forced to eat rocks and mud in a cage outside. Now he wouldn't even think about eating grocery store brand dog food. Only the most wholesome and organic for him with dried blueberries. Along with my food. He doesn't even like people junk food, only roasted vegetables, grilled chicken and fillet mignon. And his pillows must be down, not foam.

Pigtown*Design said...

How sweet! I found a beautiful robin's egg yesterday. perfect condition, but heavy, so probably a little baby in there. i just left it.

i didn't know your little guy was a rescue. mine is, too. i don't think he was abused, but just not well-loved.

Karena said...

My barn swallows are back! They came late this year, however I am sure we will have babies soon. Miss Belle is always intriged as the daddy stand guard atop the lantern. We love the way they swoop in and out of the deck.

soodie :: said...

Virginia, the little birds are getting bigger so quickly. It is fun to watch them. The mother bird now is completely not bothered by my presence -- even though I'm still tip-toeing when I'm out on the balcony.

soodie :: said...

Meg, that makes me so sad about Connor. Such a sweet boy. Billy (my dog) was physically abused. Has a bum leg from being broken and never tended to. He has huge issues with men carrying tool boxes. And he bosses me around. Takes his nose and pushes me if I'm not moving fast enough for him. Clearly I am not the alpha dog.

soodie :: said...

Karena, that's sweet that the swallows decided to return. Miss Belle must be pleased.

Virginia said...

Oh, I do think you should name your baby birds. Maybe your blog readers have good names for birds. What about Joy and Reka (as in Eureka)?

Chloe said...

My Cooper (Bichon) rules the roost here, so I understand. Great pictures of the baby birds! I have two birdhouses with babies in them... but I can't see the babies. Lucky you to have a "bird's eye view"! I do love watching the parents go on non stop trips in and out of the houses to feed them. Your blog makes me smile!

soodie :: said...

Thank you Chloe! I really appreciate your words.