Saturday, July 25, 2009

I Think I Am That Bored

I woke up this morning anxious. As a gigantic pot of coffee was brewing, I peered out the window onto the balcony and into my flower box where two little baby birds were still snuggled alone. Early yesterday afternoon, as I typing away with a furrowed brow to finish a deadline, I glanced out the window and noticed the mother bird had left. (I also noticed that my flowers are dying since I haven't watered them in three weeks so as not to disturb the nest.) Hours passed and she still had not returned. We had new neighbors move in yesterday -- making quite a bit of noise. Could the mother have left out of irritation? Was she sick of her kids? Had she had enough of her life and left everything in search of greener pastures?

I stayed home last night, compulsively peeking through the wooden blinds to watch over the little babies. What could be so important to take a mother away from the nest with two little ones at home alone? Where was the father? There were no other mourning doves around to check on them. Years ago, when I first moved to Los Angeles, I stayed a couple months with my brother until I found a place of my own. There, on his balcony, a mourning dove had laid one egg. It hatched one day and the mother bird flew away never to return. It was excruciating to watch. I feared a similar situation.

It is amazing the thoughts we think and the feelings we feel through the skewed lenses of our personal experiences. We are sometimes quick to cast judgment and think we know what is best. This morning as I leashed Billy to go for our walk, I was doing just that. I was getting really perturbed. I wish there was a number for child protective services for mourning doves I could call, I told my husband. He sat quietly on the sofa blocking my view of his rolling eyes with a coffee cup. He didn’t read “Are You My Mother” as a little kid. That book is brutal.

I am relieved to report that nearly 24 hours later, the father has returned to the nest to care for the baby birds. The mother is still no where to be found. I cannot believe how attached I am to them -- little birds that, honestly, look similar to two hairballs some cat coughed up. I am really not that bored with my life -- just concerned with something I cannot control and avoiding a bunch of work I have to do all weekend. I am really overdue to have some fun...

11 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

I loathed Are You My Mother? as a kid. What horror this? But somehow we ended up with it here. I had not read it to the older two, but the younger one found it the other day and insisted. I tried to distract to no avail. We read it. He thought it was HILARIOUS. Hilarious that a bird would think a cow was his mother. Hilarious that he would name something "Snort." It's all in your out look, which I now believe is completely hardwired.

I'm glad your baby birds are ok.

soodie :: said...

Mrs. B: That book was sheer horror! I haven't read it in xx decades, but the part that always got me was when the baby bird trotted up to that big yellow bulldozer and asked it if it was his mother and it didn't respond. That's when my chin began to quiver.

Boys... I think they need to act all tough. Or maybe they do see things differently.

home before dark said...

I'm voting with the Y chromosome is a hardwired kind of guy. I don't know this book of terrors. I had a hard time with Runaway Bunny with the mother having more than a bit of boundary issues while on the surface was the loving, caring mom. Hope lonesome dove situation turns out ok.

Karena said...

I have a similar situations where barn swallows come back every year to a nest up in the corner of my deck. Most of the time the mother is very protective, and Daddy bird watches over as sentry on the lantern or atop a work of art. One day I found a new baby that fell or was pushed by the other baby birds out of the nest, and it just broke my heart!

Lisa Porter said...

Lovely to visit with such a big hearted blog. I have been there with the birdies & the bunnies. Left my Christmas wreath on the front door through Valentines so as not to disturb a nest. What joy when the babies were born, listening to the sweet little chirps! What horror when I removed the wreath! Needless to say, I had to re-paint the door.
Lisa

soodie :: said...

Home, isn't it funny how strong these children's books were back then. simple concepts, simple wording and yet when reading certain ones it felt like a lance impaled through our guts. The Velveteen Rabbit was another painful read.

Yes, I agree probably a chromosome thing... little boys didn't seem to react the same way. Probably same reason why they can go hunting and have no problems with it.

soodie :: said...

Karena, I hate seeing a fallen baby too -- either by accident or rejected. I saw one just a few months ago on the sidewalk. Those blue-footed booby birds are known to push out a weaker sibling competing for food not letting it back in. I know we have all had our issues with a sibling or two, but really!

soodie :: said...

Hi Lisa, welcome and thanks for visiting!

Sweet the little birds nested in your x-mas wreath. I do know what you mean about the mess they leave... Just a few months ago these birds raised two other babies in my flower box. After the babies were big, grown and flew away, I looked into the flower box and about got sick... they need to figure out some sort of system for bathroom plumbing.

David said...

I like that you're watching over the baby birds.

At Brett's building/my workshop we have Nelson, a young bunny who lives in a drain pipe in the wall on the west side of the parking lot.

We're seeing him less and less, I'm hoping it's because he's off making friends and dating.

amy carol said...

crap now im starting to worry about a damn bunny named nelson let me know if he makes friends

soodie :: said...

David, amazing how we start to think up little stories for fun... like Nelson. Maybe he was out all night at some party and sleeping it off.

I had this whole thing running through my head with the female mother bird -- like she was mad at her husband for not pulling his weight -- not taking out the trash, leaving things a mess... god, i need to get out more....