Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Object: Posset Pots

When I hear of a combination of milk and beer or wine, I have to tell you, I think of a hangover remedy -- something to soothe the stomach with a little dash of hair of the dog to ease a pounding head.

Posset pots were drinking vessels usually made from tin-glazed earthenware, sometimes made from silver or glass, to drink the milk and alcohol mixture from. They had two handles and a spout and were very popular in England and Holland from the sixteenth through the eighteenth centuries.

Bristol Delftware Posset Pot, circa 1690; Sotheby’s NYC January 20, 2006; Realized Price: $12,000


Sometimes an egg and spices like cinnamon were added. Sometimes a sweet sherry was used instead of ale or wine. The alcohol would cause the mixture to curdle and separate and the drinker would sip the concoction through the spout.

Dutch Delft Polychrome Posset Pot 18th Century (painted in imitation of Batavian ware); Sotheby’s, Amsterdam, Netherlands, December 4, 2006; Estimate : €800 - €1,200


A little protein post a bout of too much drinking the night before is always recommended. However, I would opt out of drinking this recipe. I am covering my lips with one finger right now as my stomach turns a bit.


George II Delftware Posset Pot circa 1730-40; Christies’ London January 20, 2009; Realized: £1,625


Posset was a popular drink at celebrations such as weddings or Christmas feasts and the posset pot was passed from guest to guest each one sipping from the spout. I wouldn’t have liked to be the last one to sip this mixture. Some people tend to leave a bit of warm, thick backwash.


Posset Pot, ca. 1710 Bristol, England, Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in KC.


A really good posset was said to have three different layers: the upper having foam; the middle a smooth custard; and the bottom the alcohol. The custard portion was eaten with a spoon and the leftover liquid mixture sipped through the spout. At weddings a wedding ring was sometimes thrown into the posset pot. It was thought that the person who fished it out would be the next to get married.

It was also commonly used for those in bed sick to slowly sip this milk and alcohol mixture from one of these pots. In some rural portions of England, this was practiced even up until the mid twentieth century.


English Delftware White Posset Pot, curca 1700; Sotheby’s NYC, October 20, 2003; Estimated Price: $6,000 - $8,000; failed to sell.


Some seventeenth-century recipes called for bread crumbs, eighteen yokes and three-quarters pound of sugar. (My bottom is spreading from just reading about it.) This recipe sounds similar to a bread pudding I make -- but it has a whiskey sauce mixed with butter and sugar on top. There is no curdling. There is no communal sipping sludge from the bottom. And everyone has their own portion from their own plate nibbling from their own fork.

I must not judge. Times have changed. And I am sure an eighteenth-century English woman would have thought eating a rice cake that tastes similar to Styrofoam was unappealing.


English Delftware Polychrome Posset Pot and cover, Circa 1770; Sotheby’s NYC; October 6, 2006; Estimated Price: $18,000 - $22,000; Realized Price: $66,000 !

Something about these spouts makes me feel a little uncomfortable. Anyone else?

Top image: Posset pot, Netherlands, Late 17th or early 18th century ; Victoria and Albert Museum .

25 comments:

Trouvais said...

Perhaps its the price that's making you queasy. Love your story..fascinating. Pots de creme seem a bit more more appetizing. Trish

Amy Carol said...

Well I think a greasy hamberger is the BEST cure for a hangover.

My college roommate's father was a doctor and he said before you go out eat bread with lots of butter on it. It is supposed to coat your stomach so alcohol won't do as much damage.

Nah, I couldn't drink that curdled
mess of milk and alcohol. I would just look at it and my stomach would flip-flop. It's a greasy hamberger for me.

Tracy Watier said...

I am so glad I read this after dinner. And even still, my Chinese food is feeling a bit unsettled. Thanks for the education though. (I think)

David said...

The spout functions like a straw I guess, but the idea still bugs me. It makes more sense if you're sick in bed, but even then I still think I'd rather have a mug. The idea of anything curdled turns my stomach, and now I'm questioning whats going on with the Bailey's I'm so fond of with coffee. Like everyone else, something greasy is what I always want after too many drinks-that and a big glass of water.

home before dark said...

I find the pots beautiful. I have a thing for spouts, handles and lids. The history lesson of posset pots most interestig. However, the information regarding "tend to leave a bit of warm, thick backwash" will have to file under TOO MUCH INFORMATION. YUCK!

Karena said...

Soodie, it is so interesting how times have changed with all of the viruses abound.....no more sipping from the same straw or sharing a box of popcorn at the movies, dipping hands into the mix! The possett pots do make me churn though,beautiful that they are.

La Belette Rouge said...

Is it one of these in which you keep your beverages for your wee Westie? Nothing but the best for your gorgeous furry child.

Jeannette StG said...

Ooh, that's why these pots look so familiar - tin-glazed earthenware -I am from Holland, but lived for more than 20 years in L.A.
I like wine -but I don't like milk except for chocolate milk, so the mix you were talking about would not even enter my mind, even less my mouth, LOL!

soodie :: said...

jeanette, i LOVE eating chocolate and red wine together. and then for some added crunch... salty potato chips. all at once. delicious!

i wouldn't have thought of wine and milk either. but i was told that whiskey and milk helps a hangover...

soodie :: said...

la belette... good lord, nothing is too good for a westie!

soodie :: said...

karen, sure there was the plague and people were sick for a month at a time back then, but since the water was filled with bacteria and such they drank alcohol. even little kids drank a weak ale. there is that theory, that if you are feeling like a cold is coming on... forget the airborne and the vitamin C... just have a couple shots of whiskey to kill any bugs in your system.

soodie :: said...

home, it grossed me out just to type about the backwash... not sure why i did that... whole mixture of the milk and wine got me carried away...

soodie :: said...

oooohhh david, bailey's and coffee = yum.

the spout reminds me of going to the dentist... after they clean your teeth and you have to spit into that tube that always catches and sucks in part of your lip. all of it seems so awkward -- that spout and the dentist's tube.

soodie :: said...

tracy, as i mentioned before i must not judge... there is some mighty taste creme brulee recipe with spiced rum that i am fond of... sort of, in a way, the same concept. just not shared by an entire wedding party. remember they didn't have tooth brushes back then!

soodie :: said...

AC, peanut butter helps a bunch also. and water in between drinks -- but that is always so difficult to remember when you're having fun and ordering yet another drink.

soodie :: said...

trish.. i believe you are right!

72 and sunny said...

god, I"m so glad you ended with that sentence. they're beautiful, but *gag*
chunky, warm, fermented dairy product? makes me feel a wee bit queasy.

soodie :: said...

M, "chunky"

reading that made my uvula stick to the back of my throat.

Diane Dorrans Saeks said...

Hi Soodie-


These are magical.
Are you the first blogger to write about posset pots?
If not...you have written about it with flair and wit--and it is surely the definitive post on the subject.
Bravo...wonderful information and dizzying prices (rarity?).

cheers, www.thestylesaloniste.com

Greet Lefèvre said...

Beautiful these pots! Can you imagine these as a collection on your home's cabinet??

Greet

Lynda @ Elegance Reclaimed said...

Hello Soddie,,
What a lovely blog you have, thank you for all the great pictures and information.

I happened upon here this evening and became a follower right away.

Am looking forward to going through all your past posts and all you upcoming ones also.

Again thank you and have a GRAND evening.

soodie :: said...

DDS, thank you for stopping by! unsure if i'm the first blogger to post about posset pots -- but i certainly cannot imagine these objects being a popular item to talk about. however, you are right about the dizzying prices -- i haven't studied the market for them... but who knew!

soodie :: said...

Greet, a collection of these items would surely be different -- a nice change from the usual collections you see.

soodie :: said...

Lynda, i am so glad you found this blog and find the stuff interesting. your support is much much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that
it is truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels.
I will be grateful if you continue this in future.
Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!


my homepage - Aya waska last reggae tune Sème - pot