
A tiny little country with a wreath of clouds around its mountains and a long coastline has been plagued by revolutions, corrupt political leaders, poverty and now a devastating earthquake.
Jasmin Joseph (b. 1923) Caribbean Village, 1983Christie’s, New York: September 3, 2008
Haiti was once a rich and flourishing country. It is now the poorest country in the Western world.
Wilson Bigaud (b. 1931), La Ronde, 1953
Christie's East: May 19, 1992
They have an old religion, an old oral history, and an old mythology woven into a complex cultural foundation.
Hector Hyppolite, (1894-1948), La Dauration l’amour (The Adoration of Love), 1946-48 Milwaukee Art Museum
Haiti has one of the richest visual spirits. Sparkling with vitality, Haitian art has an unprecedented openness and honesty.
Wilson Bigaud, Haitian Market Scene (date unknown) ; Sloans & Kenyon: Chevy Chase, MD; February 11, 2007
Haitians are not ordinary people, they are visionaries.
Salnave Philippe-Auguste (b. 1908), Flamingoes, c. 1962-1964
Wishes to them that their courage and strength will point the way toward a hopeful future. I hope their spirit will rise once more.
Rigaud Benoit (b. 1911), The Healing of the Sick, c.1964 Top image: Hector Hyppolite (1894-1948), St Francis and the Christ Child, 1946-1948 ; Last two images from the book Haitain Art by Ute Stebich, 1978. Erzulie, the Voodoo goddess of love, is known for her love of flamingoes.
6 comments:
Soodie, thank you so much for sharing this beautiful art with us. I have been to Haiti, and seen the devastating poverty.
How do these things happen to a once prosperous country. I am sure that is another chapter in the history of Haiti.
Thank you for the most loving post about Haiti I have seen during these last heartbreaking days.
A loving tribute to Haiti, Soodie. A gentle reminder that while we may appear different from this culture, we are the same and they desperately need our help.
Soodie,
You know I love this beautiful and sensitive post.
There are many people who practice the religion of Voudon (Voodoo) here in New Orleans, and the roots and mentoring come directly from Haiti.
Saints and Voudon gods and goddesses exist side by side here in New Orleans, and we all have a day to day existence with them. We pepper our speech with references to there names.
People all over the world collect Haitian art, and I loved seeing the images you collected.
Thanks for directing me to you.
I am adding you to my blog list, and adding a link to this post on my post about Haiti.
xo xo
Such a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing this.
As someone else expressed, this is one of the loveliest of posts during this heart-wrenching period in this country's history. Yet, there is optimism to be found in your portrayal of life in Haiti (and elsewhere) as the ebb and flow that it most certainly is. I believe the more profound meaning in these inexplicable tragedies lies more in our humanity and the hope it leaves behind.
Post a Comment