Often times I look at various designs and try to place myself back in time when these object were first created. I wonder if I would have found them too different or utterly fantastic. I also try to look at them today with fresh eyes and wonder if (of course with an enormous pretend disposable income) I would want them.
Hoffmann's sketch
Josef Hoffmann designed this set of flatware for the Wiener Werkstätte in 1903-1904. All three founding members -- Hoffman, Koloman Moser and Fritz Wämdorfer -- ordered a set for their own.
crab fork and butter knife
A German newspaper described the service as “uncomfortable” and the shape suggestive of doctors’ tools. Another newspaper stated that Hoffmann made “geometry, not art” and his flatware was doomed to catch on with the public.
This line called Flaches Modell (Flat Model) included thirty-three in the set, and had a limited production from 1904-1908. Hoffmann went on to create other versions similar in style.
(Top image from Hiesinger and Marcus, Landmarks of Twentieth-Century Design; last two available from Bel Etage, Vienna)
18 comments:
Yes! But I'd also like a Hoffmann dining room to go with them. They probably are not the most comfortable pieces of flatware, still they are appealing. I do like Hoffmann, but the crab fork and butter knife are almost creepy!
le style... funny! i was having difficulties with the butter knife. i kept averting my eyes from it, it gave me a cold shudder...
Perhaps made into sculpture or a mobile. I like the lines, but not for dining. There is this lovely thing that happens when tools are balanced in the hand and in the eye as well. Can you imagine trying to eat
delicately with this things? I'd need a bib and probably plastic under my chair.
Hoffmann set looks practical....for a Viking perhaps! Or maybe the Middle Earth realm.
Love your post!
Oh- I think I would have been old fashioned then too! Not my cup of tea or otherwise.
I love the little bead detail, but that's about all. They are very tool like which isn't bad, but not so great for eating. And maybe it's just me, but the soup spoon is imposingly large. I gag a little just looking at it.
I'm a libra too and I couldn't agree more about flatware balance.
Nope. Not for me. Too severe. And the knives are particularly scalpel-like. I don't want to feel like I'm disecting my dinner. Eek.
Love. Love. Love. Send them my way. I will give them a good loving home. Just wonderful.
Yes, yes, yes! But I'm horribly impractical and a spendthrift when it comes to these things, so it is not best to listen to me.
Not the best for dining, cool to look at.
SB-
LIFE must be full of variety.
Sometimes it is Tiffany silver.
Sometimes it is Hoffman.
Sometimes it is bamboo handles from Cost Plus.
Sometimes (yum) it is Georg Jensen silver.
We must keep learning and experimenting and learning and trying and appraising and discovering.
I say...try them and appraise. Invaluable...let us know.
cheers, DIANE
www.thestylesaloniste.com
DDS, true that life is full of variety -- designs we may and may not want. i suppose it is about making the things we don't want work in our lives and somehow find beauty in their perceived ugliness.....
Lovely to look at, impossible to hold.
This harsh view is based on many an occasion spent trying to manage tricky flatware of the modern sort,
making a mess of things and yes, as you say, stabbing
one's tongue....
TW, so right you are! and a pain to pick up off the table because they lay too flat. you have to scooch them to the edge, then flip them up. it is like eating with a paint stick.
As art they're cool but for actual use? I'll stick to regular silverware thanks.
The spoons make a very poor delivery of soup into mouth.
Too much "dumping" needed.
Too "slurpy?" Spillage?
i love it!!!
i think they are sooo architectural.
x
what one thinks practical or functional is an excess nowadays, makes me sick its already whats most creepy and disgusting thing
Post a Comment