This hostile gender bias wasn’t anything new. Previously, she studied at the Art Institute of Chicago, the only female in her class she experienced similar behavior. Some parents thought that young men could not learn to their full potential with a young woman present. Many parents wanted their money spent on a solid education for their sons. The fairer sex was much too distracting, it was thought. This theory still holds true today by some parents. But a more prevalent theory was that architecture was a male domain and considered no place for a lady.
The house she designed for her parents. 1908. It was the first home in the area to have a built-in garage. The city didn't know what to do with this. It conflicted with regulations, so she had to put in a fire-proof steel garage door which still exists today. The house originally had outdoor porches which have since been enclosed.Upon Mary Rockwell Hook’s return back to the United States, she applied for a job with an architecture firm. They turned her down because of the simple fact that she was a female, and they didn’t want to watch her climb all over life-sized models. But MRH was not intimidated. She was driven and had the support of her family behind her. Another architecture firm did accept her, but her father did not like the idea of Mary working for a salary. Aware of her well-trained solid skills, he commissioned her to design their family home in Kansas City. It was here where she launched a prolific career as one of Kansas City’s most innovative architects and became a pioneer among professional women.
One of my favorites. I went to a small school in this area and when I had to around the hilly neighborhood for soccer or field hockey practice, I used to admire it.She did have a number of things in her favor. Born on September 8, 1877 in Junction City, Kansas, she was the third of five daughters, (sandwiched between Florence, Bertha, then Catherine and Emily). Her parents insisted on the highest standards of education. She graduated from Wellesley in 1900 and her father’s successful business in banking and grain elevator business allowed for Mary to travel widely.
I’m partial to her houses. Mrs. Blandings introduced MRH a number of months ago, of course presenting the story of MRH very well. I am attracted to MRH’s designs for her open floor plans mixed with a little bit of the unpredictable. Although her designs are asymmetrical, there is something incredibly harmonious and balanced about them. Older houses in Missouri have always possessed a quirky twist. Mid-western architects provided their own interpretations on East coast designs with a dash of European idiosyncrasy. MRH did just that. But each one of her homes has a well thought-out spatial plan with interesting, unique appointments.
I am of the belief that a woman is -- if living with the opposite gender -- truly the head honcho of the home. She is the one, no matter how progressive the relationship is, who is ultimately responsible for a well-ordered home. Therefore, it makes sense to me that she would have invaluable insight of the structure, the circulation patterns, storage space and light. No one knows the flow of the house better than the one who is responsible for maintaining it.
The house she designed for herself where she lived with her husband who she wed at the wise age of 44.
Many types of female birds are in charge of the construction of the nest. She is the one who decides the location. She has her chicks to think about. She knows that she needs to build her nest on a sturdy branch. She knows she needs protection from the weather and from predators. She delegates to the male about gathering twine and twig of all sizes. It is the mother bird who stays behind to manage construction and place every piece with astounding accuracy.
So, I applaud Mary Rockwell Hook. She is one of Kansas City's pioneer mother birds. She was one of the country’s first architects, and formed an architectural partnership with Eric Douglas Macwilliam Remington. She worked throughout the United States – from Colorado to a sandy key off the coast of Florida. She was the first to use cast-in-place concrete walls. Many of her aeries can be seen in the Sunset Hills around Loose Park. MRH used recycled materials such as a slate roof from an old church, and thick beams from abandoned railroad bridges. She liked to juxtapose the rough with the elegant. She combined stone and brick with tall broad windows conscious of bringing the outdoors inside. She wasn’t afraid of much and took risks. She even was known to construct small platforms or stages in various rooms throughout houses for an occasional and impromptu piece of theatre. I think in her own words Mary Rockwell Hook describes her work best, "Houses should be fun".Mary died on her birthday 101 years after her birth.
My apologies featuring the houses from afar. All photos by me from my camera as a lurker on the streets.
20 comments:
Fantastic post - I missed Mrs. B's profile of this architect. I liked your observation that despite her penchant for asymmetrical exteriors, there is a harmony to the homes. I am coming to the conclusion that asymmetrical exteriors lend themselves to more flexible flow on the interior.
I was in a Hook house last month and it was captivating. After I posted I heard from a few people who have lived in her homes and each was completely devoted to Hook. I admire, too, her father who was always her champion.
Soodie, a wonderful and enlightening post on one of our areas most talented and respected women. I have always loved the way she used the surrounding grounds as an integrated part of her architectural designs.The unique stonework always appeals as well.
Thanks for today's meditation! I missed Mrs. Blandings' earlier post on her and I will read that tonight if I don't die in the garden heat today. I am a big fan of Beatrix Farrand. I also admire Artemisia Gentileschi.
All three of these remarkable women were true pioneers. Their struggles inspire and at the same time makes me so sad that so much talent has been lost to us because a woman's place was in the home.
I agree so much with your bird analogy. One only has to cook in a man (noncook variety) designed kitchen to feel the cruel imposition of ignorance on one's daily life!
What a delight to read about and discover these lovely architectural designs. Such beautiful homes among lovely landscaping. Didn't that family of girls have a remarkable father -- just think Mary Rockwell Hood was born 132 years ago.
Things... Thanks for visiting! You know, I have slowly been arriving at the same conclusion. Usually floor plans that are not on a central axis and balanced make me feel uneasy, but I agree with you I think it offers more possibilities and less controlled movement within the space. There still has to be harmony to it and for it to make sense. Otherwise, you'll feel like you're in a maze.
Mrs. B, yes, I'm with you, I do think a supportive father helps a great deal. I have not been in a Hook house for years and am interested to see one again with a new perspective and appreciation.
Karena, great point about how she incorporated the grounds with the exterior of her designs! She always utilized materials native to the spot. I have a thing for big old limestone houses (with crisp white trim...) being from Kansas City.
Home... ugh, this suffocating heat! Isn't it brutal?
I wonder too how many women over the centuries whose talents were overlooked or blatantly ignored based upon their gender. I'm an enormous fan of Artemisia Gentileschi as well -- she had a very supportive father who encouraged her superior artistic skills. And BELIEVED her during the tragic events in her life... I didn't know about Beatrix Farrand. Thanks for mentioning her. I always learn something from you.
And yes, sometimes some men can be so logical and not intuitive. Their sense of rhythm and movement way too categorized. Makes me miffed when they don't consider the gray areas.
Virginia, for sure a remarkable father -- and mother -- who encouraged MRH as well. Think back to that time when she was born: when women were considered delicate and not much more than a bundle of raw emotions sent away to the doctor if they had frazzled nerves.
Soodie, I have had a possible heat wave/brain storm. I think there is a book for you to write in this. Looking at women who made a success in the world of art—and a wider net than just fine art—and why? Sort of an Outliers for women through time. And perhaps you can answer my question of whether the challenging times was the crucible or would these women have been even greater in today's world. By the way, Farrand didn't have a true father supporter. But she have her aunt, Edith Wharton. Mull this over. If you can think in this ghastly heat.
Home... hum... you got me thinking...
Edna St. Vincent Millay, Louise Fitzhugh, Marie Zimmermann (who was known to treat her employees with care and respect -- something that is not told to women if they want to get ahead), Marianne Brandt, Mary Macdonald Mackintosh... and that's just the 20th century...
Have to tell you, I am beyond flattered you believe I can even do this....
You, go girl! This list already includes names I don't know about, and I would like to. Keep me posted.
Home, I'm an adjunct inst. for the interior design dept. at a university 20 min. north of here and last semester I proposed a class on women interior and furniture designers of the 20th c. Even if it was only a 2-week May-mester class. We'll see, I've found there isn't the interest in learning about women artists as there was in my days just a couple of decades ago in college before the backlash really gained momentum. But like everything else in life, things come around again...
whenever i drop by i learn something ... i love that.
mrh was inspiring, gifted, and courageous! a lethal combination.
i can't stop looking at these images. the second image/home is my favourite. it's perfection.
Houses should be fun! I love that. Your photographs especially of Mary Rockwell Hooks designs really appealed to me... I must learn more about this woman.
I too love the juxtapose of rough and elegant. What a nice mini tribute!
Chloe, yes I agree, houses should be fun. Sometimes, I feel, design magazines feature houses with rooms inside that are a bit too stiff and fussy. But each one of us has different taste and a different way of living. And some of us are big believers in allowing our pets to nap any place they please. I try to imagine some of these rooms in magazines with little muddy paw prints on the white upholstery and a chewed up dog toy in the middle of the floor.
I'm a little confused. I live near by a house she built, and it is now selling for 1.7million. Apparently it is the first time it has ever gone on the market and has stayed in the family all these years. Built in 1922. The only thing is, the photo shown here that is labeled " the house she built for her parents " is completely different than this one. The realtor is selling this home is advertising it as the house she built for her parents. Definitely two different houses. Did she by any chance build two homes for her parents?
Angela (leafyhendrixo@yahoo.com)
Angela, I cannot recall how many houses she designed for her parents.. but I do know she designned at least two: The first one was right after school (the yellow and limestone one in 1908) and the second one (Italianesque-style, not pictured here on blog that I believe is the one you're talking about currently for sale. She spent time in Italy (cannot recall dates but some time between those two houses) helping her sister who lived there with a new little baby. There she was greatly influenced by the Italian vernacular structures nestled in the hillsides and made even greater efforts to incorporate a lot of outdoor living areas in her structures, i.e., more porches, etc. The one for sale could even have been the third house she designed for them. Not sure... I do recall much of it was created from recycled materials -- such as old railroad ties.
Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!
Post a Comment