This poison will linger in all our veins even when, the fanfare returning, we are delivered again to the old disharmony. Oh, we now so worthy of such tortures, let us fervently grasp this superhuman promise made to our created bodies and souls: this promise, this madness!~ Rimbaud
'Drunken Morning’
From Les Illuminations
I’m rebounding from the echoes of last night. Non-stop I had to work, hour after hour, day after day, for weeks I labored over my computer. I had an enormous project to turn in which had been weighing heavily on my mind since the start of the year. In the wee hours of each night, I would waddle to bed stiff from the permanent C-shape my body had formed as I hunched over my old, outdated laptop. My hand developed the form of a claw that ached from hours and hours each day grasping my mouse. At night, I was barely able to hold a toothbrush to drag it across my teeth. And when I finally completed the project, I didn’t take time to celebrate. I had baskets of laundry to do and tumble weeds of dog fur to clean which had collected underneath the furniture from three weeks of neglect. I was also overdue making dinner for my understanding husband. It seemed a good idea to open a few bottles of wine while I tackled these tasks. So I began to sip the dark red contents of my glass and felt it slide past my throat and into an empty and growling stomach while I stuffed the chicken breasts with a particularly tasty Caribbean recipe.
As I cooked I sipped and my shoulders began to lower. They had been at the level of my ears for some time. My back was in less pain. I felt circulation in my legs again. By my third glass, I let out a few giggles. By the fourth glass, I recall myself shrieking in laughter at “Kathy Griffin My Life on the D List” which ran in the background. And by the end of the bottle, I decided to take my dog for a midnight walk. I believe at this point I was skipping down the street and humming a tune, my kitchen apron still on. My dog and I decided to take a detour through a neighbor’s yard running through their sprinklers.
It was hot out last night. The steamy air was too stagnant for even insects to fly through. We needed to cool ourselves off. And it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Poets such as Baudelaire and Rimbaud believed in the “disarrangement of the senses”-- a practice which would inhibit the natural filtration and categorization of information we are methodically taught how to do in school. They did this with the aid of alcohol (and later music performers such as John Lennon and Jim Morrison exercised this through other types of chemicals….). Although I am a believer in the deconstruction of information and finding one’s own methods of relaxation, I am sorry I didn’t stop after my second glass.
I never finished cleaning the floors last night and I am having difficulties completing that task today. My eyelids are as heavy and gritty as sandbags and my brain feels like a dried nut rattling noisily against the insides of my head. My skin dry, my hair flat and my tongue thick. But the worst of all is that I am guilt ridden. I have wasted time today too worthless to do much. I have more work due and I have put people off. I didn’t even benefit from an evening out spending time with friends. Instead I cooked, drank, walked my dog then lost my head. Not a morsel of significance to the evening. The after effects of alcohol are unfair, but it certainly feels so right at the time.
14 comments:
Don't beat yourself up too much, we balance ourselves out, I don't think we can help it.
You're waist deep in a project one minute, then you're walking your dog through sprinklers in your apron the next. (how much do I adore that visual!)
Billy likely had a great time, and tomorrow you'll be right back on track. All good.
David, I was just about to rip this post down. You made me feel better. Funny, a decade ago, two decades ago, and even earlier I would have been relieved that I exhibited such responsible behavior under the influence.
Billy had a blast! I should be glad I made him happy.
We are far too hard on ourselves. One day? A little foggy? No harm done, I suspect. It sounds like a fine celebration.
For years there was a bit of cryptic graffiti on a wall that was adjacent to a treacherous underpass here in town. The inscription read "You need slack". And every time I passed it, I thanked whomever was responsible for that hasty scrawl. We seldom gives ourselves that
necessary "slack".
Funny you should write this. Had a similar evening. My husband returned from a trip to Austin. He dreaded going because of the heat. As sadistic luck would have it, it was only one degree hotter there. I had a glass of wine in the evening, finished watering the garden for the night, had another. He came home at 10 and we had more wine. This morning came soon and hard. At 60, rebound time is, indeed, relative. Posted back to you. Consider this book, seriously. Love the reds of cabernets. Love the rose undertones. I try to appreciate the flow of colors as I drink. I think it improves my mood as well as my spirits.
Mrs. B, not sure why we are so hard on ourselves. Learned behavior? That voice programmed into us when we were young? Or is there something inside some of us that keeps pushing for more? Regardless, I have always wanted to live my life with no regrets and it is impossible. I know there will be another wine night soon, I feel it coming.
Mr. Worthington, how I've missed you! ! ! ! !
Home... hate to say it, but it is nice to have someone in the same hangover boat. Movies such as 'Auntie Mame' and many others of the time always joke about it. Today we have to be all stoic and not admit it. I've tried every hangover remedy and nothing seems to work -- even inhaling oxygen (works for about 10 minutes but the headache always comes back)-- only thing that works is a little hair of the dog but you're back where you started. Red wine in the summertime seems particularly dangerous. I blame it on the sulfites. My drink of choice is a frothy pint of Guinness -- tastes like dark chocolate and it keeps my iron levels up! But after a few, I still feel lousy the next morning. Good luck feeling better. This sweltering weather doesn't help, especially when you feel like you're sweating wine from your pores.
i enjoyed this post ... a lot! baudelaire was correct, of course!
full disclosure: i love my friends AND family AND pups ... that said, i LOVE my chemicals. if i don't have at least one hangover a week, it's a week waisted.
cheers,
-p.p.
ps my hangover remedy is swimming laps.
p.p.
You know... that bottle of wine did help dissolve the painful knot in the back of my left shoulder...
Ah! and I will try swimming laps next time. Yoga doesn't work. Down dog with all the blood rushing to my head is just murder. I made that mistake one time and almost threw up in my mouth.
As we were having dinner, I told my husband about our sharing a parallel universe. He reminded me that the vitamin B100 was the recommended prevention of hangover cure. Take it before you go to bed. He got this tip from a woman he worked with whose husband was an alcoholic. Worked for him and who can argue with practice?
Home, will try the B100 (because it's not like I'm never going to have more than I should again...) I've tried B6 before and it didn't help much. A very dear alcoholic friend told me gatoraid in the morning even before coffee. It helps a little. So does Advil cold and sinus pill -- helps to clear your head -- but it gives me the shakes. I will run to the store in search of B100, I have some social events coming up.... thanks for the tip!
Soodie, we have all done this (I hope!) it is just the yucky feeling morning after,when it always seems just fine at the time! Another Midwestern trait that we seem to be too too hard on ourselves.
Karena... I'll never learn.
We Midwesterners do work hard and then play hard. And then we feel bad for playing so hard, we work so hard again... and then we need a break and play hard.
Post a Comment