Monday, July 6, 2009

AGAIN??? !


Just when we have a break in the weather, just when my flowers begin to burst, just when I got the balcony all gussied up, I return home to make cheese and green chili pepper stuffed top sirloin burgers on the grill, and look at what I find:

The mourning dove sitting on two more little eggs...

No grilling, no loud noises or sudden movements, and no swearing for the next three weeks as I watch my flowers wilt in this heavy Midwestern heat and hold my breath desperately hoping the two little eggs will hatch and the baby birds grow up healthy and well-adjusted and fly away...

13 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

This has happened to me. This year our doves built their nest too near the door and abandoned it - we miss them.

soodie :: said...

Good thing or else every time you would open and close your door the mother bird would be flying away -- noise and feathers everywhere. Second time around and this bird doesn't even flinch when I open the doors to the balcony. In fact, she now looks at me annoyed.

Karena said...

I have the barn swallows back again. They pretty much ignore me, as well as Miss Belle when she is whining to get at them!

soodie :: said...

Karena, I know... what do you do? I can't chase them away, I would feel too guilty. Problem is, the mother bird seems to have several visitors. They perch themselves on the railing and visit with her. Now I have bird poo all over the balcony!

home before dark said...

Have you been dived bombed by robins? There was an air force of them, ok there were three, but it felt like an air force. I was trying to trim out dead limbs on a tree and suddenly the Persuasion Enforcers came at me. Birds are lovely to admire, to hear their songs, to watch them do their bird thing. I even plant for them: berries on trees, etc. However, I wish we could negotiate flight paths for poo runs. Nature is messy (and cruel and often very effective). Good luck with the doves. Billy may have to go on attack. May YOU wouldn't feel guilty if Bill is simply abiding by HIS biology.

Virginia said...

That is a pretty window box with the bird. Is that sweet potato vines swirling down the railing?

I think you have been adopted as the bird's god-mother.

David said...

It looks so pleasant out there. Shade, flowers, I can't say that I blame her.

soodie :: said...

Oh Home, those robins can be very, very mean. and cardinals too. I've heard of people getting dive bombed like you. I've seen them do it to other birds. just mean. I've had problems with squirrels pelting me with acorns and other nuts while I've tried to get into my car.

Billy... oh such a stud. However, he was in a cage the first couple years of his life before I got him and has no idea he is supposed to chase anything other than bugs (and the FedEx man). A squirrel will cross his path three inches in front of his nose, stop, yawn and stretch out his little arms. Billy thinks he is supposed to do something, but unsure. He actually likes these birds, he looks up towards the flower box for the mother bird when I let him out to sunbathe.

soodie :: said...

Virginia, yes it is sweet potato vine. If you notice the right one is much larger than the left as I have refrained from watering the left side of the box where the bird is. Now that portion is turning yellow.

God mother... well I suppose it is a lot easier to be a god mother to a bird than taking small screaming children out for the day.

soodie :: said...

David, she probably built her nest in my flower box again because she knows I am a push over and my dog won't bother her. Which is fine. Problem is when did my balcony become mourning dove party central? I feel like I should be opening a bottle of chilled white wine for them and offering up a platter of brie and grapes every time they congregate and squawk to one another.

Pigtown*Design said...

Soodie... i have a pair nesting on my front door transom. the little one can probably fly now, but the mum still feeds it!

soodie :: said...

Meg, maybe the mom is having a bit of a hard time letting go? or much like today, we're having adult children return back to the nest?

chloe said...

How sweet of you to put your plans aside for the birdies! The things we do for our animals. My dogs (Bichons) have gotten so used to pooing on my garden patch because the grounds were so wet this spring that now I have to take a trowel with me everytime I go outside... but I smile and say well at least they don't poo in the house...
The birds and I also coexist in my backyard.... we have nests closeby and the birds have just gotten used to our activity.... do you think your birds will let you do the same?
Hope so!