Thursday, September 3, 2009

I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up: Rockingham Ware

For the women out there… Think about this: when was the last time you pulled out a household object such as a tea pot, water pitcher, baking dish, pie plate, or even a soap dish, and had to look at a pictorial image which reminded you to strive to be an “ideal” woman.

Today we have magazines pages to thumb through and commercial advertisements to watch on tv. Many of us pooh-pooh them as the messages are so trivial. We can close a magazine and turn off the tv. How many of us truly aspire to the media’s fabricated ‘idealized’ woman. Sure we buy the face creams, go to yoga to minimize the fatty texture on our bottoms, color the gray, and put on our spanx before a night out, but trying to look better doesn’t truly make us better women. We know this.

During Victorian America, women were bombarded with images of the ‘ideal’ woman. Problem was these images targeted core beliefs. Not superficial ones like today. They sent messages to women reminding them what a good woman was.



Pie Plate: Skinner, February 23, 2003

Rockingham pottery did just that. It was an inexpensive nineteenth-century ceramic widely used in America – an ordinary good. It performed a variety of tasks and played a variety of different roles in everyday life. But what is interesting is that much of Rockingham ware is pictorially embossed with an array of Victorian themes. The themes spoke of urbanization, nostalgia for country life and visually communicated hard messages. They depicted stories of men’s role in the world of hunting and woman’s role at home. How many men out there would like to have in their possession reinforcing pictorial images on every day wares such as a beer pitcher or a shaving mug of graphic hunting scenes?

10-paneled bulbous "manly" probably beer pitcher depicting a boar and stag hunt with hound handle. Awful to see those pronounced ribs -- feed the dog. Cowan’s, Cincinnati, Ohio, October 18, 2008.


Another pitcher of the same subject showing the other side. This one is attributed to E. & W. Bennett, Baltimore, Maryland, circa 1850. Cowan’s, June 21, 2008.

And how pleasant, hanging game... Garth’s Auctions, May 4, 2007
(Bummed the photo has been truncated.)


The embossed patterns on them maintained a cultural identity and the enactment of social roles. Although the ceramic was used at all social-class levels and in all types of communities from urban to rural, the images reinforced heavy expectations. Victorians were deeply concerned and conflicted about gender roles. And they were intensely materialistic people. For women, the theme of Rebekah at the Well was common. It reminded women to behave, serve and obey.


Garth's Auctions, Delaware, Ohio January 6, 2005.


D Marie's South Portland, Maine

Culture is a complex package of beliefs and behaviors. They are expressed through goods. Some of it we shape through our own preferences, and others forced upon us telling us what we need to choose and how we need to be.

These messages were seen over and over again every single day as the wares were used again and again. E. & W. Bennett pottery of Baltimore, Maryland is said to have first introduced Rebekah at the Well in the mid-nineteenth century and nearly all the potteries copied the pattern. In fact, by 1897 it was advertised in four sizes in the Sears Roebuck catalogue becoming the best and longest selling pattern in Rockingham history. The Rebekah at the Well theme embodied the Cult of True Womanhood which flourished during the mid-nineteenth century. (more of that in a post to come… as well as more Rockingham ware... for the darker, less mottled tortoise shell like glaze... Scatter ware, a colleague of mine likes to call it.)

Top image: Augustus Egg, Past and Present (1858)

22 comments:

Virginia said...

"Rebekah at the Well" is the carving on my cameo that has been handed down to the first born girl in the family since before the Civil War. Ha, now it has a different meaning for me--behave, serve, and obey. Not Likely!

Rockingham would not be my choice of pottery to display. Why would they depict the hound with ribs showing and his ears laying flat?

home before dark said...

Early subliminal advertising. Perhaps it's time for girls of all ages of this century to create our pottery, with our own messages. Basically that well behaved women rarely make history! Wouldn't that be wonderful? Fascinating lesson today.

soodie :: said...

Home, good idea!

I just scanned my bookshelf -- so many books were published about courtesans. I have a biography of Queen Anne, but she was considered dull --she followed the rules.

soodie :: said...

Virginia, lucky first born girls in your family. Cameos can look great with an updated necklace of sorts... You never see them worn anymore.

I'm hoping the reason the dog's ears are back was to prevent breakage and the ribs protruding to assist with gripping the handle. I hate that theory that I've known some people to employ: keep the dogs hungry so they hunt better. (I just glanced over at my dog napping on the down cushion of my chair and he gave a little stretch and a little smile after a late breakfast and leisurely morning walk. No matter how many deadlines are looming for me, he cannot and will not be rushed on his walks.)

Amy Carol said...

tell me about that painting -- i've fallen and can't get up. looks to me her hands are tied in bondage. what is the title of the painting and when and who painted it. yikes, and her kids are watching.

soodie :: said...

Amy Carol, lame post title. But it was in the wee hours of the morning when I did this one.

The painting is by Augustus Leopold Egg. He has depicted the crumbling of a middle-class Victorian family because the wife/mother has strayed. This is one painting in a series of three which depicts the repercussions of such actions. If i get my act together, i'll post about the 'fallen woman' -- a theme so prevalent during this time. I first learned about this as an art history student in college and after all these years, it still sticks with me giving me a slight cold shudder.....

Tracy Watier said...

Was it worse when we were told that "real" women should subjugate themselves to their husbands and families and were expected to finely hone their homekeeping skills or is it worse now that "real" women feel the need to go fake (breasts, hair, nails, tan, etc) in order to measure up. "Society" seems to always be expecting something from women that we can't quite keep up with. Interesting, thought-provoking post.

Greet Lefèvre said...

First of all I want to thank you for the comment on my post yesterday!
And I'm very pleased to have discovered yours! I have written the articles about Piet Boon and of Marie-Antoinette! You have to know I studied antiques and Marie-Antoinette is one of ma favourite's to read about. There are 3 books that I red about her!
She was an amazing woman! I think she was leading the French court and politics at that period!

You have a wonderful blog that can learn us a lot!
I added your blog on my bloglist!

Have a nice weekend!
Greet

David said...

I read this yesterday at the office, and then when we closed early I went down to roam around the River Market mall. And sure enough, there was a Rockingham pitcher with Rebecca at the well.

I'm not a fan of those sort of allegorically styled pieces, even more now that I know what was behind them, but I do love my 4 plain little Rockingham bowls.

soodie :: said...

Tracy, obviously, you raise a very good point. Society does always seem to expect something from us, doesn't it? But -- and I may be talking out of turn here, a dangerous one too as I do not want to come across as anti-female -- sometimes I wonder if it is really the men who prefer the fake boobs, long thick extensions, tan, particular body type, etc. versus perhaps maybe women. Do we set these ridiculous requirements for ourselves? I wish there was a Bravo TV Housewives show about women who are making a difference in society as opposed to one about pulling each others hair, engaging in pointless competitions and trash talking one another. I say this but I am completely guilty of watching every episode of Housewives of New Jersey except for one....

soodie :: said...

Greet, fantastic for you to stop by. I enjoy your blog a lot and will visit often. Thank you for your vote in confidence. Blogging is certainly a lot of work, just when I think I am going to quit someone like you comes along and helps me keep going. So thank you! and looking forward to reading more of your posts.

soodie :: said...

David, I love the River Antique Mall -- I scored a great old wallpaper roller and converted it into a lamp. Yeah, I;m with you on the Rockingham themed pieces.... I have another post in the works about themed walnut sideboards.... I'd be interested to see what you think.

Tracy Watier said...

I think you're absolutely right about women setting such ridiculous requirements for themselves. In the second half of my comment about what "society" expects from women, I chose that word very carefully—because I didn't want you to think I'm pointing at men as the bad guys. Women who, with all their post-feminist freedoms, have determined that the more "perfect" you look, the better woman you are, have allowed the greater society to judge them that way too. But, as your posts about Marie Antoinette and her big hair point out, there's always something we humans judge each other by! It's either big hair or big boobs or the tiniest waist or the pointiest shoes. A few centuries from now, when archaeologists are digging us up, I wonder what they'll make of all the bits of plastic mixed in with the piles of bones?

Liberty London Girl said...

Oh fascinating post! LLGxx

Karena said...

I have always loved the imagery of the Rockingham Pottery. The painting does give me chills as well, the horrid expectations of women in that age!

soodie :: said...

Tracy, we can be our worst enemies, can't we? (especially in the workplace). We need to be more aware the direction we're heading and help each other.

Funny your comment re plastic and bones. I wonder how crazy a future society will think we were with all of that. Today, we even look back and wonder how could women have worn such uncomfortable rib-crushing corsets, or put white powder filled with lead on their faces.

soodie :: said...

Thanks LLG!

soodie :: said...

Karena, men strayed all the time then. with mistresses, courtesans, prostitutes. Such double standards. Regardless, straying is never a good idea in a relationship. At the same time it would be so horrible to be trapped in a relationship, hurting someone else, without an option out for either party.

Chloe said...

Thank God, I abolished the notion of being the "ideal" woman a long time ago! Its a age old story though... and I admit that beauty products do take a big chunk out of my budget. Did I just contradict myself? LOL

pve design said...

Art lesson or face cream, Art lesson takes away years and gives me so much more...I love that a bit of history be it in the form or paint or pottery can infuse one with such gusto. I love that beer pitcher, now that is what I call "putting hair on the dog!" Great post.
Are you familiar with "Rookwood Pottery" - in Ohio?
Always loved that sort of coveted pottery.
pve

soodie :: said...

Chloe, I hear you! When I was writing this post I was so tired, hadn't had a break from work, yet determined to get this message out, as I was typing with one hand, I was holding my "Olay Regenerist Anti-Aging Eye Roller" with the other rolling it back and forth under my eye for a solid 60 seconds as directed.

soodie :: said...

PVE, yes yes art lessons do take away the years... I wish the creative process would be taken as seriously as the charts and graphs of economics these days.... ~sigh~ and yes, I am very familiar with Rookwood. The first FEMALE owned pottery in the United States!!!!