My mom was flipping through a box of old photographs the other day and found an article she had forgotten she tucked away. Any guesses as to the year it was written? (Click on image to read the article...)
I'm going to wait for a few more guesses to come in before I post the date.
I was trying to gauge from the font type before I flipped over the article and realized the date. I have two pairs of shoes that look exactly like the top two examples. Not vintage either... please stay tuned (not that this is terribly exciting or anything....)
I think these are rather stylish shoes, some of with the look that are in my closet now. However, there were three words that jumped out at me when i read the article -- "stockings" instead of panty hose; "foundation" designers instead of lingerie designers; and "Capezios" flats.
OK, my guess from the ageing news print and the list of designers, I would say the early 1970s.
Oh Tracy, close. I guessed 1979-1983 based on the name Geoffrey Beene -- but that is was when I started to pay attention and not when he was most known. But the font to me seemed a a lot earlier. I was totally wrong.
Virginia, great eye to look for language. Didn't occur to me. I remember when my mom brought me to get fitted for my first brassiere in a "foundation" shop. "Foundation" -- the word seemed so binding and secretive to me. Horribly embarrassing experience. All of puberty was, actually.
I am a bit late, but in my mind, I said 60's but I met Mr.Beene in the 80's as a friend worked for him, and the fabrics, the details and the shoes ---I will never forget. pve
11 comments:
I gues the article was written about 1960???
Greet
Oh wow Greet....
I'm going to wait for a few more guesses to come in before I post the date.
I was trying to gauge from the font type before I flipped over the article and realized the date. I have two pairs of shoes that look exactly like the top two examples. Not vintage either... please stay tuned (not that this is terribly exciting or anything....)
I'm guessing late 40s, say 1948.
David, I think you'll be as surpised as I was. It was published the least likely date in my mind....
Geoffrey Beene was a big name when I was in high school, but we were into the clunky mid-70's by then... so I'm going to say 1970? Great article!
I think these are rather stylish shoes, some of with the look that are in my closet now. However, there were three words that jumped out at me when i read the article -- "stockings" instead of panty hose; "foundation" designers instead of lingerie designers; and "Capezios" flats.
OK, my guess from the ageing news print and the list of designers, I would say the early 1970s.
Oh Tracy, close. I guessed 1979-1983 based on the name Geoffrey Beene -- but that is was when I started to pay attention and not when he was most known. But the font to me seemed a a lot earlier. I was totally wrong.
Virginia, great eye to look for language. Didn't occur to me. I remember when my mom brought me to get fitted for my first brassiere in a "foundation" shop. "Foundation" -- the word seemed so binding and secretive to me. Horribly embarrassing experience. All of puberty was, actually.
Okay the mid sixties? By the way I wore stockings, and even a girdle and corset for prom night. Is that awful!?
Karena even closer. Sorry I don't have a prize to give away...
THE DATE THE ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN IS:
FEBRUARY 21, 1968
when i think of 1968 i think of lava lamps, white patent leather boots and jimi hendrix.
I am a bit late, but in my mind, I said 60's but I met Mr.Beene in the 80's as a friend worked for him, and the fabrics, the details and the shoes ---I will never forget.
pve
Post a Comment