
Breast Cancer.
My Grandmother died from it. She had a double mastectomy, but she still died. My Grandmother is my name sake. My given name. I never knew her. I listen closely to all the stories I hear about her. Advances in technology weren't as sophisticated back then. I wonder if she had a chance, how much I could have learned from her. I could have known her. Can one miss someone without even knowing them?
My doctor told me I needed to have a screening done. With a lot of cancer in my family, and arriving at that "age", it just is a wise thing to do. I still haven't made an appointment. I have some fears.
Test and misfortune that comes our way is not beyond the course of what others have had to face. Many of us have been let down in life and seen loved ones suffer without reason. We've been pushed to our limit and when we think we cannot take one more thing, that one more thing still comes. But we will always regret if we hadn't done something early. Because you won't wonder if it is too late. October is the month to make an appointment if anyone already hasn't. We need to promise ourselves. Because "The best protection is early detection".
Test and misfortune that comes our way is not beyond the course of what others have had to face. Many of us have been let down in life and seen loved ones suffer without reason. We've been pushed to our limit and when we think we cannot take one more thing, that one more thing still comes. But we will always regret if we hadn't done something early. Because you won't wonder if it is too late. October is the month to make an appointment if anyone already hasn't. We need to promise ourselves. Because "The best protection is early detection".
7 comments:
Darling, Soodie, make that appointment today. And thanks for helping to spread the word.
Soodie, We are all touched by this disease, I always wondered about your name, as it is so darling.What a tribute to your grandmother. I will post tomorrow about Breast Cancer Awareness Month with a painting.
Thank you, thank you for this reminder. I know your grandmother Ardus would have loved you. I'm sure you feel her spirit.
Oh, I forgot to mention, my friend Ellen's brother died of breast cancer. It never occured to him that men get breast cancer too, until it was too late. So you dear men out there, please give yourself a monthly exam too. Start now.
Soodie, just do it. I told my story at Mrs. B's. It is scary live with the angst. And I'm hear to tell you that the "breast sandwich" as I call the mammogram isn't the most fun thing to happen to your boobs, but do this thing. My mother at the age of 65 had her first mammogram at my insistence. She had them every year after that and they were able to detect her cancer at its earliest stages. She would tell her friends in that little town she lived in, "My daughter saved my life."
And yes, my dear, you can miss someone without even knowing them. So give it up, what was your brave grandmother's name? Don't you think she'd say to you, her namesake, this minute, "My dearest one, make that call. I will be with you the entire way."
All this serious stuff made me forget to tell you that today at Steampunk Home blog is a how to on installing a penny floor. Perhaps a Johnny Swing something or other on a penny floor would have currency.
Lovely posting. Time is of the essense. Much love.
Post a Comment