
The Board of Lady Managers ended up awarding Sophia a gold medal "for delicacy of style, artistic taste, and geniality and elegance of the interior hall." There was a dedication ceremony for the buildings, but Sophia wasn’t there. Rumors began to spread that she suffered a mental breakdown, which plainly indicated why women should stay at home and not wander into the realm of men.
Critics dealt her another blow when they insisted the building was too feminine. One said regardless of her technical knowledge, the structure with its “graceful timidity or gentleness” was clearly designed by a woman.
Critics dealt her another blow when they insisted the building was too feminine. One said regardless of her technical knowledge, the structure with its “graceful timidity or gentleness” was clearly designed by a woman.
The Women's Building was torn down after the Exposition ended. Sophia, frustrated with the way she had been treated, retired from architecture. She later married William Blackstone Bennett, an artist. Sophia never designed another building after the 1893 fair, and lived a quiet life in Massachusetts until her death in 1953.

(first image: Exterior of The Women's Building, period photograph, Boston College Digital Archive; second image: MIT)
9 comments:
She did pioneer-would that she could have labored on. It is part and parcel of the job-there will always be criticisms and conflict in public buildings. I am sure it was a burly man commenting on the delicacy of the space.
Soodie,
I read a great book, DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY by Erik Larson. It was about the Chicago World's Fair of 1893. There were a lot of details about the architects including Sophia Hayden. I read that all the buildings were torn down after the exhibition. The exhibition was called "White City" because the building were all so beautiful and white with gorgeous walkways and landscaping -- this was at a time when cities were so dirty and not planned out.
I am enjoying your information on women designers.
Wonderful, sad. What promise, and disappointment. Cannot fathom the limits earlier generations of woman had to suffer. Thank you for these stories. Trish
So sad, and angering---to work so hard for a goal, and to be done in by one's own sex.
Oh, and shout out to Little Augury---some of us burly men actually like delicate space! (that makes us gurly burly men?)
DED- utterly attracted to the dedicated to delicate burly type! I was just conjuring a sort of image of the man of the Era, cigar aside. And unfortunately many times it is your own sex that will sell you out, it is a gurly thing (most unfortunate)
GT: AMEN! (i'm with you on fancying the burly type....)
also DED: it is true... it happens being sold down the river by your own gender.
I am so amazed and thrilled to read the two entries about Sophia Hayden Bennett. William Blackstone Bennett is my great-great-uncle. William's first wife died fairly young and he married Sophia in 1900, and he died about 10 years later. Sophia was just a name to me until I read your blog. My mom (age 79, and a very artistic person) did not know Sophia. Now we know something of Sophia's life and struggle. Thank you so much.
Thisisit! no, I am thrilled you stopped by and commented. I am thrilled to know you (via internet) and honored to be able to pass on information about her. I discuss her work in some of the classes i teach to the younger generations. i hope her name never fades away. thank you for commenting!
Post a Comment